Friday, February 10, 2012

Presence

I find, particularly in speech and debate, that when I am confident I fail miserably, and when I am nervous out of my finite mind I do quite well.  God is quite skilled at making us realize that He is in charge, His power is what gives us success and we are absolutely NOTHING.

I finished my Illustrated boards (for a speech with visual aids) the night before I left for this tournament at 4:45am.  I memorized the first point in the car.  The second point came together the day before the tournament started, and I attempted to memorize the third Thursday morning...which didn't work.  I read from my script and it was 13 minutes and 52 seconds long (the "max" is 10 minutes).  Last night, in the shower, I managed to finally pound it into my brain.

This morning, for round two, I stumbled my way through it without my script.  It wasn't too dreadful, but it certainly wasn't what it ought to have been.

Then God decided to show off.  I so love it when He does that.  I can't even describe the third round.  I felt like God was standing there, whispering my lines to me.  The boards cooperated, the judges were responsive and I was, once again, stunned by what God can do when we have nothing to give.

That speech was not memorized.  I kid you not.  It was barely, very roughly, sort-of-kind-of, maybe could be considered memorized.  Like, I should never have competed with that.  That certainly didn't stop God, though.

Honestly, I'm not just saying this, I could car less if I do well.  I won when those judged were writing down the websites that I ask them to check out.  I won when they were shocked, nodding along, and laughing at the funny part.  I won when I came out of the room and knew that it was God; I did nothing!




"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, 
for 
my power is made perfect in weakness.” 
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly 
of my weaknesses, so that the power of 
Christ may rest upon me."

~2 Corinthians 12:9


Over and Out,

~Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment