Friday, June 8, 2012

Change, Worry and Knocking

I tend to think that I love change.  I love new adventures.  I love going to new places.  I love meeting new people.  I love re-arranging furniture and trying new recipes.

But when I come to big changes in life; when I come to fearfully new things, things I've always dreamed of, things that are not new ideas, but rather new experiences, when I come to these things, I can feel my mind's heels dragging in the dirt, trying to stop them from happening.  I try to get used to these things, try to feel fine about them, but the whole, "mind over matter," idea has never worked too well for me.

It's so easy to forget that God has this all in His hand.  It's easy to think, "Uh-oh, unknown territory!  Reverse!  Get me out of here!"

But then we get sick of our lives.  I get so sick and tired of always doing the same things, never moving forward, never turning the page to the next chapter.  So, why not allow Him to turn the pages?  Why am I holding onto the page I'm on, as though my life depends on it?

Looking back on my life, the past year has been filled with change.  Little changes that I barely even noticed at the time have now become monumental in my walk with the Lord.  God uses change for good.  God uses everything for good.


Why is this so hard to remember?  It's so easy to worry about every little detail of everything, but I usually get in the way when I do that.  

I'm not advocating "Let go and let God."  I think that's silly.  God never had anyone sit there and have Him wait on them hand and foot.  God never had anyone do nothing.  However, we over-think things, in regards to worry.  I firmly believe that we should not jump into things without praying about it.  But, praying about it shouldn't take two years.  And if it does, get off the couch and do something while you're praying!  

Oh, I find myself using excuse after excuse for not knocking on doors.  "The time isn't right."  "I haven't heard God tell me yet." ect.  Now, if God is telling you the time isn't right, then so be it.  But if you are waiting for fireworks in the sky, you will almost definitely be out of luck.

I've been realizing more and more lately, that following God is like it was with Abraham.  God didn't give him a map, He didn't point out every trial along the way, every landmark, every river.  God tells us to take a step, and then another and then another.  As with the Israelites, God is a pillar of fire by night.  We can't see anything else; we can't see where we're going.  We just follow.

Or we should anyway.

Why do I feel like I need to know everything?  Why do I dip one toe into the water and hold it there for five hours before stepping in?  It sounds absurd when I put it that way, doesn't it?  Five hours?  But when I think about that, I do that all the time.

It ought to be simple.

Follow the pillar.  you may not see anything else, but follow Him, and all will be well.  

For some reason this is hard to execute, though.  I think that the pillar is usually two inches outside of our comfort zones, and that two inches can seem terrifying.

Source

Source

Source

Over and out,

~Emily

P.S.  Wow, it took me forever to type this.  I'm pretty sure I broke my pinkie yesterday, so it's taped to my ring finger and I lost the use of both fingers... I've never made so many typos in my life!


Lavender photo from here.  Verse added by myself.

13 comments:

  1. emily, this was great.

    I found this and it was similar to what you wrote about the 'let go and let God' part.

    "Sometimes we say we're waiting on the Lord when we're really just procrastinating. Let's not spiritualize irresponsibility." - Tony J. Alicea

    that got me really good and then reading your post. so true. and Abraham is really becoming more and more of a role model for me. its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hannah! Wow, that quote is awesome; I do believe it shall soon be pasted onto my bedroom wall. =)

      Yes, I think, growing up, the story of Abraham sort of just blended into the rest of the Old Testament, and I never really appreciated it. It's now one of the most convicting stories in the Bible, and I just love it. Oh, to have that kind of faith!

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. btw emily, i nominated you for the Liebster blog award. not sure what it means, but check out my post to see what it means haha

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, thank you so much, Hannah!

      Delete
  2. You have no idea just how much this encouraged me!
    I'm leaving school in two weeks time, and I'm quite scared about it all - I'm so not used to change (I've been at the same school for 13 years!). But your blog post reminded me that actually when God's in control change can be really exciting.
    I'm taking a gap year next year but my plans have fallen through, so I'm not sure what to do - but this has inspired me not to just worry but to be proactive and pray and research!
    So thank you so so much! - And i hope your pinkie gets better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Abbie!
      I will definitely be praying for you. I just graduated, as well, and there are so many scary changes happening. I know that God is in control, it's just a matter of remembering that...
      You are definitely in my prayers.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful. Love that last photo, it's so true! Worrying gets us nowhere, but giving all problems to Jesus solves everything! There is nothing that he can't solve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Vivi; I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes, worry is a constant struggle for me, and a lesson I am continually re-learning. When I trust Him with everything, though, life is so much for beautiful and I find myself becoming clay that is more pliable for Him to use for whatever purposes He has in mind for me.
      Thanks for the comment!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Emily!!! Thank you, thank you. This is such basic knowledge... and yet it isn't. Not enough that I act upon it. And you put it very beautifully. Thank you. :)

    Amazing, isn't it? How simple things really come down to, one step at a time? I get caught up with that one step because I see how many hundreds I'll have to take and forget I only have to take ONE today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your welcome, AJ. I'm totally preaching to myself here, but I'm glad that you liked it. Love you, girl!!
      <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  5. Thank you Emily for sharing! I am having such a very hard time letting go and letting God because I always feel like I should be doing it, but really I need to live by grace. May you be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Anne. =) Thanks so much for the comment; you're in my prayers a lot these days.
      Love you!
      <3

      Delete