Monday, November 14, 2011

Fluff

What is necessary? You probably know that I’m busy working on cutting my new persuasive speech right now, and this is the question that I am constantly asking myself.

It’s shocking just how little is necessary.

I am so emotionally attached to each and every sentence in this speech that it all seems to be so very needed, but when it all comes down to it about 90% of my speech is nothing but fluff.

It’s like that in all situations; in all of life.

We get quite dreadfully attached to things that we feel are necessary…and yet, the only thing that we truly need is God.

“In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—
Here in the love of Christ I stand.”

As Amy Carmichael so aptly put it, "The foundation of our happiness must be invisible, not visible.  It must not depend on circumstances of any sort whatever.  Let us gratefully take all that is given us of visible good things, for they are the gift of our most loving Father.  But do not let us build on these things.  No, never."

He is all I need, all else is fluff. In Christ alone.

Over and out,

~Emily



"In Christ Alone" Words and Music by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend

1 comment: