Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A New Year...A New Adventure...

Oh the thrill! I went to speech and debate club last night, the third meeting of the season, not expecting anything too abnormal...I was pleasantly surprised =)

I moseyed my way over to the Platform room and talked with an alum friend and one of the mothers about my new persuasive idea. I had had an outline, the skeleton, of my speech for about a week, but I was totally stuck. I'm telling you, starting a speech is just about the hardest part of public speaking. I knew what I wanted to include in my intro, I knew what I wanted to talk about, it was just a matter of actually getting it on paper.

Well, it happened last night! With most speeches that I've done I've been dreadfully stuck and then I'll have an epiphany moment and it all comes at once. I had that lovely light bulb go off in my head after I got home last night...and I stayed up until shortly after midnight writing the introduction and part of my first point.

If you haven't competed with speeches before you can't possibly understand that moment. The moment when you know you've got it. That glorious feeling of picking up a pen and writing out sentences which then form paragraphs which then form an introduction, a first point, a second point and finally a third point and conclusion.

Words are powerful things. I cannot possibly describe to you the feeling of knowing that God is speaking words through you. It's sort of like when you're so happy that you get a lump in your throat and almost cry...only so much better. Oh, how glorious!

I went to sleep last night thoroughly giddy. It has begun! A new speech season full of new adventure and new lessons and new challenges!
"Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth;
break forth into joyous song and sing praises!
Sing praises to the LORD with the lyre,
with the lyre and the sound of melody!
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
make a joyful noise before the King, the LORD!"
~Psalm 98:4-6
Over and out,

~Em

1 comment:

  1. So glad for you! I know you are writing to the glory of God. Can't wait to hear you perform your speeches to his glory also! :)

    ReplyDelete